Module 5 - Health & Safety for Drivers
Maximun 20 Delegates
Introduction to course, aims and objectives.
Basic principles and responsibilities under H&SAW Act (Sections 2, 3, 7 & 8), Management of Health & Safety at Work (Section 14). Health & Safety cases affecting drivers.
- Talk about the H&S act 1974 and why it was written
- Difference between Sect 2 & 3
- Difference between Sect 7 & 8
- What is Employee responsibility
- What is Employer responsibility
Go through case studies with group and ask what section of legislation is relevant under the act.
Safety on Sites, your own site, the customers site and when checking the vehicle at the roadside.
- What are the causes of accidents in the workplace
- How to prevent accidents in the workplace
- Risk assessing the work place
- 3rd Party and offsite risk assessing
- Vigilant all the time
- Show videos and Slides of potential accident situations.
Safe manoeuvring of vehicles, the use of trained banksmen and workplace transport safety.
- Why is reversing a H&S black hole!!
- How can reversing be minimised
- How can best practices make reversing safer
- Audible warning signs.
- Law & Legislation regarding blind reversing
- Usage of a banksman and what the signals are
Break 15 Minutes
The dangers of working at height, slips, trips and fall from height.
- Law regarding working at heights.
- Reasonable precautions to take when working at heights.
- Clean and tidy work environment
- Show video footage of accidents that have arose from working at heights
- What PPE should be worn when in the workplace.
Manual handling regulations and basic principles.
- What is manual handling
- How can manual handling be avoided / minimised
- MHE that can be used.
- Planning of all types of manual handling exercises
- Carrying out risk assessments for manual handling.
- How to lift correctly
- Discuss the Anatomy of the back
The issue and use of Personal Protective Equipment. How to look after it and store it safely.
- What is the correct PPE for the given task.
- Law regarding usage
- Who should supply PPE
- The effects of not using PPE
Course Evaluation and Feedback