Module 4 - Safe Loading 3.5hrs
Maximun 20 Delegates
Introduction to course, aims and objectives.
Approved Codes of Practice and legislation relevant to safe loading of goods vehicles:
- Overview of DfT Code of practice –Safety of Loads on Vehicles
- Drivers’ responsibility for the safety of loads on vehicles under the Road Traffic Act and Construction and Use regulations
- Potential penalties for unsafe loads
Forces acting against the vehicle
- Centrifugal forces, inertia, acceleration
- Requirements for load restraint in forward, sideway and reverse direction.
- how these forces can affect vehicle handling characteristics.
How to secure various types of load, types of load restraining equipment and how to use them to the maximum benefit:
- Use of ratchet straps
- Use of chains and tensioners
- Headboards and bulkheads
- Positioning and re-positioning loads
- Safety issues during loading/unloading.
Break 15 Minutes
DVSA Good Practice DVD
4:00 minutes duration
Height restrictions and low bridges,
- Bridge markings, route planning to avoid low bridges
- In cab height markings
- Action to be taken in event of a bridge strike
Projecting loads, marking requirements and police notification for oversized loads.
Maximum weights for goods vehicles,
- Maximum weights for different vehicle configurations
- Width and length limits
- DVSA weight checking and overloading action.
- Agencies involved in enforcement of load safety requirements.
Consequences of getting it wrong –summary of how to keep it right.
Course review, Evaluation and feedback.